Sunday 4 March 2012

Similar(ish) Concepts That Already Exist

As part of my research I scoured the internet looking for games that were similar to my idea. After many MANY hours I failed to come up with a direct comparison but there were some products I noted as bearing some resembling features (which should be obvious just from the photos) and wanted to mention them on the blog. If you wish to learn more about any of the items listed here, please follow the links provided on the Reference and Resource List page for further details (including videos of many of them in action).
  • DaGeDar 


  • Screwball Scramble

  • Paper Rollercoasters/Marble Runs

  • Handmade Cardboard R/C Race Tracks


  • Fingerboarding


  • Block N Roll/Race N Roll

  • BiSikle


  • Hair Formula 1
Though completely unaware of it happening at the time... this piece was perhaps the original subliminal trigger behind Sonic Blow/Wings - I randomly came across an art installation many months ago whilst researching for my Box of Neutrals F1 racing game. I think it somehow embedded itself deep in my memory banks because ultimately what I've done is replaced the hairdryers with a non-electrical means of wind power! Looking back on these images now, it's no wonder I was inspired - you can't help but marvel at the creative ingenuity of this masterpiece.
A Formula 1 racetrack constructed from hair dryers, hair curlers and hairpins. When the audience pushes the red button all the dryers start simultaneously, which results in a massive sound reminiscent of the roar from cars at a racetrack.

The ping-pong ball follows the current of air around the track, and the guardrail of rollers helps it to survive the “hairpin bend.”
~ Michael Johansson























No comments:

Post a Comment